Saturday, February 7, 2009

Food

So, I think about food a lot. What I want to eat, snack on, smell... etc. I like a lot of foods, no real favorites, but I enjoy eating. Personally, I can't have a meal without meat. Something about it makes eating more filling and enjoyable. Even my salads need at least some chicken (often instead of making a chicken breast, I just cook some chicken nuggets and cut those up)... and of course, honey mustard dressing. I also like making up things to make for dinner/lunch. Scott and I have eaten dinner together probably 90% of the time we've dated, so he knows the main things I will make... including pasta roni or hamburger helper. I look at recipes and wonder who has things like rosemary or fresh basil laying around, so mostly I look at the pictures and go from there. It's not too bad. My favorite has been our baked ziti (although not like normal recipies and often with a different noodle). It's really easy and delicious!

1 lb. ground beef (or less if you prefer)
Bell pepper (I'm not going to list out the amounts because usually I don't measure)
Onion
Zuccini, squash, broccoli, and/or any other veggie you like
1 can of diced tomatoes
Some noodles (enough to fill a 9X13 casserole pan about halfway)--I like to use Rigatoni noodles because of the thick spirals... ziti noodles tend to dry out
Cheese
Salt/Pepper

Brown the beef, onions and bell peppers together (often I just have chopped pieces of each instead of slices because I buy the pre-chopped bags in the frozen food section)
Cook the noodles (do not overcook! undercooking is better than overcooking)
soften the veggies in a frying pan with butter (or just boil or steam them... however you like), add to the browned beef.
Combine beef mix with diced tomatoes (undrained) and cooked noodles (drained), stir in a bowl (or just the pan if it's big enough)
Pour into a 9X13 casserole dish
Sprinkle with cheese
Put in a preheated oven (about 350) for 10-20 min until cheese is melted and everything is hot.
Add salt and pepper at the end or over the beef, veggies, etc... I've even made it once without seasoning and it was still delicious with all of the other flavors.

I hope you enjoy... if you have any really easy recipies, please share... I'm always looking for something tasty and easy! I have another great recipie that Scott cooks for me, but I'll share it later...

Yum! Happy eating!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Hey, I have fresh rosemary and basil laying around! I grow them. It's fan-tab-ulous!

I'll have to email you some deliciously filling veggie meals. It's good for your heart!! I'm sure your triglyceride levels must be through the roof will all that meat :-)

By the way, I saw Settlers of Catan at Barnes and Noble yesterday and thought of you. Guess it really is out there!!

Jana said...

I'm so glad you checked my blog...so I can now check yours! It sounds like everything is going GREAT for you! Are you the new Biology secretary? What was the old girls name, the one I worked with on Kronos stuff? She was nice...and now YOU get to work with the new ME (Pam). Haha. Oh, and I congratulate you for dating Scott for such a long time. Jason and I dated for almost a year and a half before getting engaged, and it worked out well for us!