What is it about sales that makes everyone crazy?? I mean, usually it's not more than a few dollars off even in a good sale. BUT for some reason a few dollars makes everyone pushy and cranky. Today I went to the
BYU Bookstore's "Preview Christmas Sale." It was pretty mild and less pushy than last year, but still for a full 20% off your order, hundreds of people--young and old--flooded the doors upon opening. After grabbing the few things I really wanted, I began to aimlessly wander, looking at "what else I could buy." During my wanderings I realized, what am I doing? I am a full-time BYU employee and therefore get 10% off my order any day of the year... so not only am I rushing to the mad-house of a sale, I'm rushing for a whole 10 extra % off! Putting this into perspective though, if I buy $100 worth of items, I can save an additional $10! (I could do anything with $10! Buy 1/2 a pizza, put 1/4 tank of gas in the car, etc.). But, if I buy $10 worth of stuff I get 1 whole dollar off... the same dollar I donated to the food drive they were doing because I was spending so much anyway, what's a dollar more?

Okay, so beyond that, there are a few perks of a sale, sometimes (like on nights like tonight), there are ADDITIONAL savings on top of the 20% off. Now these are what's worth going for. Unfortunately, there wasn't anything more tempting than an additional 25% off some Christmas wrapping paper. But, I'm sure plenty of people went for the extra 20% off of "A Christmas Story" merchandise. (Click
here if you don't know what that is).
All in all it was a good evening of shopping. Nobody yelled, only 2 or 3 gently bumped me out of the way to the buy one get one free
Stephen's hot chocolate (I wasn't trying to get one, I was trying to get around the strategically placed display at the top of the stairs).
Ahh sales... anyone going to the day after Thanksgiving sales??
2 comments:
Were they selling that lamp at the BYU bookstore?! That's immodest!!!
They were, I saw it.
Post a Comment